Cultural Insights: 4 Key Life Lessons from My Journey as an Exchange Student in America

 

Video courtesy: Kennedy-Lugar YES Program, Pakistan 



Travelling to a foreign land can be both thrilling and intimidating, as one is engulfed not merely by homesickness but also by the challenge of navigating cultural diversity. I was selected as a cultural ambassador for the Kennedy-Lugar YES program ( Youth Exchange and Study program), an American-based cultural exchange program funded by the US Department of State.


It was the sweltering heat of June 2022 in the Kech district of Balochistan when I received a phone call congratulating me on my selection. Hearing the news of my selection brought overwhelming joy to my family and a deep sense of profound gratification down nerves.


Shahjan Munir and Capitol Hill,  Washington D.C 

 Spending a year in the United States of America was very interesting. I learned firsthand why Americans have excelled in the fields of science, literature, and technology. Moreover, I observed their resilience in overcoming stereotypes and challenges.

 Let me tell some of the valuable lessons I have learnt and things I have been blessed with during my stay in America.


Welcoming Hosts and a loving family


Shahjan Munir with his host family in Veneta 


Initially, during my stay in a place called Veneta in the Oregon state of America, homesickness was on its peak since I missed my family back there in Balochistan, Pakistan. Veneta was somewhat like a cold place, reminding me of the chilled weather of Shaal (Quetta) in Balochistan.


I didn’t enjoy exploring the US initially because I was placed temporarily with the Simms family for a week and found it difficult to adapt to an alien environment. The day after I arrived in Veneta, I enrolled in Elmira High School.



Shahjan Munir and Tressa Miller 


Later, I was placed with Tressa, the Coordinator of the Academic Year in America (AYA), local YES representative and Fire lieutenant. 

Tressa Miller, a very amiable women , had a profound love for animals, especially dogs. “I love them like my kids,” she used to say whenever I asked her about her dogs. She would take them everywhere she went and was deeply affected by their moods. She was happy when her dogs were happy and sad when her dogs were sad.


Tressa hosted me and two other exchange students: Labia from Spain and Patrick from Estonia. She was like a mother to me, very cooperative, caring, and loving.


One evening in October, Tressa conducted a session to check on the foreign students being hosted by American families In Veneta. Three or four families were present, and I was assisting Tressa with her chores and arrangements.


 “Assalam o Alaikum,” came a voice from a man named Johnny Ruby from the Ruby family in Veneta, Oregon. They were already hosting a student named Ibrahim from Gaza, Palestine. Upon inquiring how he knew the greeting, he told me he had served in Afghanistan as part of the US troops and was curious about Pakistan. He asked about my family in Balochistan and how many siblings I had.


Shahjan with his host father Johnny Ruby 


Later did I came to know from Tressa that the Ruby family wanted to host me as their host son.


The Ruby family took me to dinner, where I had a long discussion with them. We also watched a soccer match in which my host brother played. After three days, I finally found a place I could call home in America.


The Ruby family consisted of six members: my host parents Johnny and Amanda Ruby, my host sister Aduray, and my host brothers Ray, Bryce, and Levi. I learned a lot from my American host family, who loved each other deeply and supported me when I was far from home.


From my host parents, I learned about the importance of working hard for survival. They gave their children tasks and encouraged them to do volunteer work, something not typical in many Pakistani families. My host sister, Aduray, inspired me with her independence; she owned a house, a car, and property.



Shahjan with his brother Ray( standing next to him in black


My host brothers, Ray, Bryce, and Levi, were outgoing and friendly. Ray, the eldest, had a talent for making friends, as he was very active and always eager to participate in everything.


Interfaith harmony 


Session by BUBW in a Church in Baltimore


When I came home from school, my mom told me I was selected for the Better Understanding for a Better World (BUBW) Interfaith Dialogue Conference in Baltimore, Maryland, on April 26, 2023. I was ecstatic!


BUBW aims to foster interfaith harmony and address cultural, social, economic, and political issues through engaging conversations and workshops. We had sessions to deepen our understanding of global matters each day.


During the conference, we visited a synagogue, church, and mosque, highlighting the importance of resolving religious differences to create a better world.One of the most remarkable experiences was witnessing a priest, a mullah, and a rabbi together on the same platform, teaching the profound message that all humans are equal and that every religion advocates for humanity. Seeing these religious leaders united in their message of equality and compassion was both inspiring and eye-opening. 


This experience taught me that despite our diverse backgrounds, we all share the same dreams and feelings. Whether from the US or the West Indies, whether Muslim, Christian, Jewish, or Hindu, we are all part of the same human family.



Receiving a certificate from the Head of BUBW, Mohamad Bashar Arafat



The conference instilled in me the importance of unity and peace, providing me with new perspectives, mutual respect, and lifelong friendships. It made me realize how much we can learn from each other in a short time.


Before leaving Baltimore, I pledged to contribute to making the world a better place. I deeply appreciate the Civilizations Exchange and Cooperation Foundation (CECF) for organizing this transformative event. I am committed to carrying forward the values and lessons I gained to promote interfaith harmony and global peace.



Compassion for Animals


A walrus in an aquarium, Oregon 


One day, while having dinner at my host-parents’ house, my host-mother asked me if we keep dogs at our homes like they do. I shook my head and responded with a big“No.” I explained that there are thousands of stray and homeless dogs roaming our streets, and very few people take care of them. The Municipal Committee or the concerned Veterinary Department rarely takes action. Children often hurl stones at them, they are beaten, killed on highways and roads, and remain unattended and unwept for days.


She was completely surprised. She told me that the situation is very different in America. I was astonished to see no messy dogs or cats in America. Everyone had a dog on a leash, obediently following their owners. My host-mother also said that there are strict animal rights laws in America. “When you do wrong to an animal, you are held accountable, no matter what,” she said.


We had two lovely dogs at our house named Sam and Sarah. Sarah was quiet, while Sam was naughty. Surprisingly, Sarah would wake me up for school. This shows that love has no language; the love you give is the love you receive, even from animals.


A skate in the aquarium 

 

We also had three cats: one belonging to Aduray and the other two to my host-mother Amanda Ruby. Additionally, we had an iguana, a lizard-like species that people in Pakistani society are typically afraid of. If children in Pakistan see one, they won’t rest until they’ve killed it, reflecting our disrespect for animals and the destruction of our ecosystem. Astoundingly one day, when my sister’s cat was ill, she immediately took it to the vet.


Tressa, being obsessed with dogs, showed immense respect not only for her dogs but also for the deer that came near her house for a meal. This was the first time I had seen a live deer; I had never seen one in Balochistan. My school books and social media informed me that Balochistan was once home to various species such as ibex, markhor, deer, lions, cheetahs, leopards, pigs, wolves and others, but they have completely vanished due to excessive hunting and poaching.


Balochistan has two national parks, Hingol National Park in Ormara and Chiltan National Park in Quetta, which are home to some wild animals, particularly ibex and markhor. However, permits to hunt these animals are often granted through recommendations, despite many species being on the brink of extinction. Seeing a clean and well-cared-for dog is a rare sight in Balochistan, let alone an ibex.

In Islam, we are taught that love for animals is akin to love for the faith.


flexible and diverse education system


Colouring a model in the sculpture class 


Americans have unique talents, but this doesn’t mean that people from developing countries lack them. For example, America has Hollywood, and India has Bollywood. Both film industries are highly ranked worldwide because Americans and Indians respect and nurture their people’s talents.


In America, you can pursue anything. If you have a talent for writing, you can become a writer. If you have a voice that melts people’s hearts, you can be a singer. If you have magical dance moves, you can become a dancer. In Pakistan, it often feels like you can only become part of a workforce that the country produces annually.


The American education system has unique features absent in our country, such as sculpture,arts, music, dance classes, theme and drama, foreign languages, debate and Public speaking, advance placement courses, along with various clubs. In contrast, our education system primarily focuses on Pakistan Studies and Urdu books that perhaps we have written ourselves, while our science and English textbooks are written by others. They conduct research and practice, producing scientists, while we often end up doing nothing innovative.



A practical on DNA model


I promised myself that I would learn something new in America. So, I took a sculpture class. My teacher taught me how to create art using different materials. I also learned that Americans respect every job. A sculptor is given the same respect as a carpenter or a dancer.


Moreover, students aren’t overburdened with school assignments. If you can’t complete an assignment after school, you can finish it the next day. The tests are straightforward, with assessments on every chapter we read. Unlike in Pakistan, children in America don’t need to carry heavy bags loaded with books.


To cut it short, American schools often provide career counseling and guidance services, helping students explore different career paths, understand their strengths, and make informed decisions about their futures. Skills like communication, teamwork, and problem-solving are actively taught and developed in American schools, preparing students for real-world challenges and professional environments.

I have learnt a great deal in the United States of America. It has taught me that there is a plenty in the world we can learn from.


As it is put up very beautifully, "Discovering the United States is like turning the pages of a living history book, where every state tells a unique story and every journey uncovers new adventures and endless dreams.”

 

Post a Comment

5 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.
  1. That is so beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting to know you learned so much. I also just learned a lot about your culture. P.S. I remember meeting you too. I love meeting Tressa's kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So well done!!

    ReplyDelete